1. Don’t forget your bathing suit, even in colder months. After a long bike ride, a soak in the heated pool or jacuzzi feels wonderful.
2. Book well in advance, up to a year. These cruises are very popular not just with individuals but with corporate and affiliate groups. Booking a group often results in lower deposits and often a shipboard credit.
3. Keep in mind that cabin sizes – even suites – may be smaller than on traditional ocean ships. The river locks and bridges dictate what size these ships can be.
4. Bring a small backpack and lightweight rain jacket, especially for biking.
5. Leave the cocktail dresses and ties at home – river cruising isn’t formal. Continue reading